Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Are you a groupie?

Research Question: How do new family members develop a family identity and acquire family membership?


Here you are – walking down the greenbelt and who should appear –The Obama's. Yes, I know that is a stretch, but stick with me.
Are you comfortable speaking with them, do you fit into their group? You will consciously decide where you belong - We all choose our groups. Scholars suggest that we access group membership by using four criteria. 

We first seek to belong – to be included into some social unit. This group would share resources, influence our behavior, and decisions would be made through consensus.  Quite often this is our family, but it does not have to be. Belonging is described this way– we share and share alike, we own things together, we share responsibilities jointly, we are obligated to be kind to each other, we have similar attitudes and values, and our relationship is unique. (1)

Secondly, we gage authority – to see if we fit into the hierarchy. What levels of dominance or submission are we willing to deal with? Authority means– Gifts are tracked (must keep things even), everything is divided equally, when one works – so does the other, equal treatment, one person- one vote, you both take turns deciding issues, consider yourselves to be peers, and you take turns if things are unable to be divided equally. (1)

Third, we look for common social status. Many of us feel that we must associate with those who are like us.  Being with individuals who are different, make us uncomfortable and we lack the confidence to shoot higher. Social status means– one is entitled to more than the other, one of you is in charge, one of you should have more respect, one is the decision maker and the other goes along,                                          the follower is loyal, one is a role model, and there is hierarchy in the relationship. (1)

Fourth we look at the costs of belonging to a particular group. Costs – you get what you put in, things are shared according to initial investment, you are entitled to a fair rate of return for what you put into this transaction, relationship weighs cost/benefits, one person pays the other person, and interactions are strictly rational. (1)

We all use these criteria to interact, and to produce, understand, and engage in a wide variety of personal and social relationship in infinitely variable cultural forms.(1) Obviously, relationships emerge from our social groupings of different types- Friends at work, neighbors with neighbors, and family with family.
Some groups are more intimate, others are more task related. We use these groups to provide structure and as a place to provide support. Interpersonal relationships are unique to each group and as an individual moves between groups – their identity changes. Self-concept is social and flexible – it shifts as we change those we interact with. (2) Think about it. How close do you want to be to your boss? Certainly, not as close as you want to be with your sweetie! You have two different identities-one at work and one at home.  This is completely normal and healthy. Everyone should have multiple identities.
Sometimes, I want to avoid certain people or situations and in that case, I think about relationship development differently. I am not interested in associating with those people, so I don’t. It makes sense that people who interact make more friends (2), but sometimes individuals do not want to be social and that is okay – unless you avoid people all the time. In that case your happiness will definitely be affected by your choice to avoid people.
Not only will your associations change the way your view yourself, they will change the way you behave (2).  If you associate with smart people, studies show that your ability to think will be affected. Those who associate with people who are sarcastic, seem to be more sarcastic (especially) when you are in the friend's compnay (2).
Let’s talk. Does all this really matter?  I think it does especially in family situations. Look at the mother-in-law and daughter-in-law. They are both checking each other out and deciding if they are going to avoid each other or get involved.  They can choose to avoid, but that will have a definite impact on their happiness and self-identity. They will not belong to the group – which means they will not receive the benefits of group membership. If they do engage, what group will they choose to place their relationship? 
Choosing a cultural (family) group to join may offer both of them security and a self-concept of being a family member. What are some of the consequences of joining other groups? Let' take a look. 
Social status, how can this group membership benefit this relationship? One of them makes decisions, the other follows along. I just see resentment here.
 I don’t even want to think about what that outcome might be, i they choose the hierarchal group. I see trouble looming on the horizon.  They will have to decide who has the authority and there may even be some struggles with power. Their self-concept will be different with this choice. One will be subservient to the other. Ouch!
Cost vs. benefit – Do I even need to go here? You get what you put into the relationship. The relationship is rational and someone is in charge. Consider the mother-in-law who wants to visit with her grandchildren, yet the daughter-in-law refuses unless it is done her way and in her time. Or, what about the mother-in-law who tells her daughter-in-law that she is not keeping her house clean enough? I imagine the young women would consider a relationship with the mother-in-law to cost more than she thinks it is worth.
So, it really matter which groups we decide to belong to. Group membership will influence the way we interact and how we view ourselves. Being a groupie can be a good thing.

References
(1) Brito, R., Waldrus, S., Sekedej, M., & Schubert, T. (2010). The context and structures of relating to others: How memberships in different types of groups shape the construction of interpersonal relationships. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 28(3), 406-431.
(2) Gabriel, S., Carvallo, M., Dean, K. K., Tippin, B., & Renaud, J. (2005). How I see me depends on how I see we: The role of attachment style in social comparisoin. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 31(11), 1561-1572.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teresa, I really like your blog this week. Your blogging style has become very personal and conversational, which I love! Also your intro was great and made me connect right away on a personal level – how would I address the Obamas?
    I think this concept you’re discussing here is really interesting, especially bringing this idea of choosing to join a group to a family. You’ve covered this a little in your blog so far, the idea that family is partly something you chose to be a part of and partly something that you have no personal control over. I think the guidelines you give for how we determine our place within a group – the hierarchical structure, costs, etc. – transfers well to family. Do you think that, in many other types of groups, these are more overtly defined than in families? It seems to me that often in families, the structure and who is allowed to do or say what, is just something that can be “understood,” not talked about. This could be more problematic when people are joining that family group and trying to make sense of their place in the family. The concept of costs is also interesting – it may be more difficult to tell initially what the costs of belonging to a particular family group might be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I really liked your title for this blog, really grabbed me right up front and made me wonder what the blog was about (and want to find out!).

      Delete
  4. Teresa

    I really liked where you started talking about having multiple identities. I was just talking about that in Jared’s comment I wrote to him. Jared’s blog was about having a romantic relationship at work and I was mentioning that I think we shouldn’t have to hide our identities at work. Part of our life shouldn’t be hidden or suppressed. I agree with you when you say different sides or identities come out in different situations and I support that. We have fragmented identities that allow us to adapt to different situations at different times. I like the part of your blog that states, “Not only will your associations change the way your view yourself, they will change the way you behave.” I have always been the responsible one in my peer group growing up and I’m not sure that hanging out with less responsible, rational, people made me less responsible or made them more responsible. Hanging out with the group I did let go of some stuff and learned to have fun in the moment. However, there was a line that I didn’t and couldn’t cross. I will say that I had no effect on them; my friends appreciated my responsibility (I was the only one to go to college) but didn’t follow my lead. At the very end of your blog you bring it all back to your topic on mother-in-law daughter-in-law relationships. I think that both of these articles make sense in other contexts but I like you relate them back to your topic. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tabi,
    Thanks for your comments. I think work does have some more overt conversations. Every new employee is handed a new employee manual which includes their job title, job description, responsibilities, the hierarchy of the business, etc. I am smiling right now because I would like to have a manual for home. Just imagine being told how to behave and handle all situations - and if you did not know the answer, there was someone higher up who would be able to solve the problem. Wouldn’t that be nice?
    Family members learn the family culture through day-to-day interaction and talk. Children learn how to behave and speak by modeling their parents. Here comes a new in-law child. They have no idea about this family culture, unless someone tells them. Families do operate more covertly, especially for new family members. I think all of us can remember the time we were the new member and how difficult it was to feel like we belonged. I was never given any indication I was not wanted, but on the other hand, I was not told I was wanted. It was assumed that I would just be part of the group.
    Family membership does have some costs involved and I agree, there is no way to know or understand the cost before you start. I think that all relationships are like that – unknown. The kicker for me is that family relationships have the potential to be costly or beneficial for a long time. I would really like to be able to identify things that could reduce the cost and increase the benefit for all family members. I think this article helps bring a new perspective to joining the group and the part each of us play in creating the group climate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda,
    Thank you for your comments. It is interesting to consider identity. Early in my life I would have argued with you that I am the same person all the time, you are much wiser than I was at your age. Clearly, our identity is affected by many things and it is transactional in nature. I think that there are basic tenets of our identity (like yours – there was a line you would not cross) that are stable. But we have to be open to the idea of changing and evolving and recognizing that our associations and environment may have an influence on us. I think of talk, as an example. Here we are in graduate school and all of us are modeling academic talk. (We are being influenced and changing.) When we go out with our friends who are not into the same stuff our talk will change, but I have noticed that some of the vocabulary follows me and is interjected into the conversation. I am influencing their talk.
    So, when I think of my study and the power that in-laws have to influence each other – not only with their family interaction, but especially with the development of their identity and how that spills over into their relationship. It is a powerful thing.
    I think there are a lot of studies that are applicable to the relationship that I am studying. I really enjoy reading a study and thinking of how their findings are applicable to their study, but also how I might use it to understand my area of interest. It makes me look through a different lens.
    Thanks again,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's 4:08 and I need one more reply!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Teresa, some interesting content in here. I wasn't always sure how it applied to family, specifically. I liked your intro about the Obamas, and then I thought, "wait, this is a blog on family, is she saying I can join the Obama family?" Not that I wouldn't like to, and live in the White House, but I don't think that's the point of your blog. Unless you are defining "family" in a different way than the standard blood relations stuff? Maybe a definition would help. After that, be sure to take everything you write about, and show how it relates to your research area. Given there has turned out to be so little existing research on your topic, you are going to have to be a bit of a theorist, and make some connections yourself (which can be fun, but also challenging, no?). You started doing this about 2/3 the way though with "Let's talk." Would love to see that connection to your research area sooner. You Can Do It!

    ReplyDelete