Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Mother-in-law or Monster-in-law? What kind of relationship do you have?



Julie calls her mother on the phone and says, “I just do not understand my mother-in-law, she says really mean things. She knows it hurts my feelings, yet she continues to say them.”

Julie’s mother, “Are you sure she knows it hurts your feelings?”

Julie, “I have never said anything, but she has to know.”


Hurt or confused feelings are often expressed in daily conversation, especially when a young daughter-in-law is seeking her mother-in-law's approval. The mother-in-law/daughter-in-law relationship has been identified as one of the most tumultuous family relationships. We live in a society where in-law relationships are joked about on television programs and in daily conversations. As far back as 1954, research participants named the mother-in-law relationships the most difficult family relationship 74% of the time.

The question arises, does this relationship matter?

  According to Rittenour and Soliz, family relationships are important because they teach us how to communicate and while we are busy communicating we are constructing our identity, our attitudes, and values. Studies have shown that young marrieds have a more satisfying marriage if they have a good relationship with their in-laws.





So….why is this one so difficult?

Rittenour & Soliz surveyed 190 married women asking them to identify things that influenced their relationship satisfaction with their mothers-in-law. The women identified several traits. A few of the negative issues include: 1) Feeling like an outsider – not being accepted as part of the family. 2) Feeling inferior - The mother-in-law is critical (Do these sound familiar?) Conversely, the women identified positive traits as well. Some of them were; being kind, accepting the daughter-in-law to the family, being helpful, and being a good grandmother. The study showed that not all mother-in-law/daughter-in-law relationships are negative – there are some women who maintain healthy relationships.

You might be asking yourself – Why are some positive and others negative? How do I create a positive relationship? There are things that will help negotiate the tensions experienced in the relationship. The first thing is to recognize there are two types of communication used in assimilating (Sounds like a Star Trek movie) a new family member. There is indirect and direct communication. Indirect communication can be recognized when the family continues with their normal routines and roles - they expect the new family member to catch on and just blend in. Another form of indirect communication exists when another family member is asked to be the mediator. This is normally the son and it may seem like a good solution – but it typically sends the message – “I do not want to talk to you” and it puts the son in the middle of the mother-in-law/daughter-in-law relationship and makes him choose a side.

Direct Communication is just that – direct. Family members typically share what is on their mind. For example – a mother-in-law may say to her daughter-in-law, “We do not see you as much as we would like.”

Let’s review a couple of the issues mentioned in the Rittenour and Soliz study and consider possible communication behaviors that may be helpful. Creating shared family identity was found to be very important to relationship satisfaction. A sense of belonging is created through communication and activities.The study participants identified negative behaviors of the mother-in-law - so mothers-in-law - here are a few suggestions.

  • You can help your daughter-in-law gain membership by sharing family stories and rituals. This provides family history and gives her a sense about the family she is joining.
  • Recognize and respect the divergent cultures and values that your daughter-in-law brings to the relationship, this will help you accept her; your daughter-in-law could even be allowed to share a few stories of her own.
  • Acknowledge the daughter-in-law's opinions during a conversation and ask for clarification and look for commonalities. This sends the message that you are important and I am interested in what you have to say.

A common complaint is the mother-in-law is critical and this may be true, but often times it is a matter of perspective.This is true for everyone, in any relationship.
Rittenour and Soliz suggest the daughter-in-law's mother may influence a daughter-in-law’s feelings toward her mother-in-law. Refer back to the conversation at the beginning of this blog. The mother has several options when she continues the conversation with her daughter. She can agree with her daughter and reinforce her daughter's feelings or she can offer alternative perspectives and guide her daughter to consider other scenarios and reasoning for the behavior of her mother-in-law.


There is not a simple formula to creating a satisfying relationship with in-laws, yet Prentice found that when individuals become aware and increase their knowledge about family members, they tend to seek understanding and develop in more positive ways. (So – there is hope!) Communication offers ways to include, support, and encourage the mother-in-law/daughter-in-law relationship. Healthy relationships are continually growing and evolving as are the participants. Learning to communicate positively requires practice and an open mind and heart.

References 
Duvall, E. M. (1954). In-laws: Pros and con. New York: Association Press.

Prentice, C. M. (2008). The assimilation of in-laws: The impact of newcomers on the communication routines of families. Journal of Applied Communication Research, 36(1), p. 74-97.

Rittenour, C., & Soliz, J. (2009). Communicative and relational dimensions of shared family identity and relational intentions in mother-in-law/daughter-in-law relationships: Developing a conceptual model for mother-in-law/daughter-in-law research. Western Journal of Communication, 73(1), p. 67-90.

14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Teresa,

    We surely need more positive relationships between mother-in-law and daughter-in-law because in the end, it can impact our relationship with our own children or even their marriage. Family is an important part of my life. I have three daughters, and I sure hope that I’ll have a great relationship with my future sons-in-law. From my perspective, culturally is a little different because my values and beliefs tell me to welcome them as if they were my own. Granted, I realize, when that time comes, they may not want the same things as me. The direct communication you mentioned in your blog will come in handy. :) Obviously, I’m sure by the time marriage comes, he (or they) would have gotten a taste of our family. We joke about this in our family and my daughters think the men they will marry will have no problem integrating well in our family because all of our activities involve lots of food. I have to say, I do worry about the relationship my daughters will have with their in-laws. Your focus was on mother-in-law / daughter-in-law and I don’t want to generalize, but it does seem like there is more friction between them than the mother-in-law/son-in-law. Possibly, having another woman being in a son’s life may be viewed as competition. Comments like “she’s not cooking as good (or often) as me” and “she’s not paying enough attention to you” come to mind when I say competition. In the end, it comes down to resistance and acceptance. People need to learn to accept other people’s choices and stop trying to look for negative traits. If we accept and respect people as they are, they will reciprocate back to us.

    Great job on the final blog.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramona,

      I feel like you are the expert when it comes to the mother-in-law/daughter-in-law relationship. Your family (girls and husband) sound wonderful. It seems that you are already practicing some of those positive communication skills. I really believe that talking with our children creates the foundation for the future. I foresee your girls telling their spouses about you and what a good cook you are and of course the young men will love that. I think preparring food together and then eating it together creates a positive context for communication.
      I was also thinking about your girls talking with you after they are married and seeking support and insight as they begin to develop a relationship with their mother-in-law. I think birth mothers play an important, supportive role in the development of their daughters relationship.
      There is research that supports your statement that the women view their relationship as competition. The mother-in-law also has been shown, in some instances, to believe that no one is good enough for her son. What a challenge for the young lady! I believe the relationship must rely on positive communication. That is the only way I can see them negotiating some of the difficulties.
      I totally agree with you that people should focus on the good and ignore the negative. For some reason, many individuals have trouble with this. Again, I beleive that we can accomplish this through communication. I still wonder how we are going to get humanity to do this. The only thing I can think of is -one person at a time.
      Thanks Ramona. I has been nice getting to know you. Enjoy the holidays!

      Delete
  3. Teresa, I like that you went straight at the MIL/DIL topic for the final blog since that was your main interest from the start. A few comments for you:
    -You say early in the blog, "why is this one so difficult?" and "It would seem logical to assume that the jokes are representative of reality." Did you run across a statistic on how common unhappy MIL/DILs are? I'd love to see the evidence so we don't have to rely on jokes as reality! :)
    -Be sure to stick to examples about the MIL/DIL since that's your topic. For "direct communication" you used a father/son example. As a reader, I'm thinking that if the dad is talking to the son, rather than the women talking to each other, that seems like INdirect communication between the women.
    -In the case of your blog, I'd take out the few times you use "I". Most of your blog seems targeted to people in this situation, so say "you" (e.g., "you might be wondering..."
    -Speaking of the people in this situation, who are you addressing this blog to, the MIL or the DIL? I would assume the DIL by your intro, but then when it comes to your suggestions, I'm not sure. I'd have you make it clear and consistent who your audience is. If it is both, then make that clear too, like, "Now, for you MILs, some ideas for you are..."
    -Change the wording in your suggestions to more down to earth language. E.g., something like, "If you are the MIL, one thing you can do is share some of the stories of your family with the DIL. This will give her..." See?
    -I think with these changes this blog could be excellent.
    -When you have a list (even of just two items), be parallel in your phrasing for impact.
    E.g., You write, "1) Feeling like an outsider – not being accepted as part of the family. 2) The mother-in-law being critical".
    Change to "1) Feeling like an outsider – not being accepted as part of the family. 2) Feeling criticized - by the MIL in particular". OR "1) Being excluded from the family. 2) Being criticized." See how much better it reads with parallel language?
    -You use the word "this" quite frequently, like "This is not an anomaly." Be specific with the referent instead. E.g.,: "Feeling hurt by a MIL's communication is not an anomaly" or whatever you are referring to with "this" so it's clear.
    -Your way of referencing the two articles made it a little clunky to read. I'd just use their names when you must, and ditch the numbers (1) and (2)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Reeder,

      Thank you for your comments. For some reason this blog was challenging for me. I did not have a specific statistic for the challenging relationship. Most of the authors just noted that it was challenging. It would be interesting to learn how many relationships are considered challenging by those involved in the relationship.
      I can see that my example should have been about the MIL speaking to her son.
      I totally see what you are saying about deciding who to address the blog to. I think I actually changed my focus this morning and failed to makes sure that the blog reflected that.
      Thank you. I have really learned a lot this semester.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hello Teresa, to respond to your question, “Does it matter?” Yes, it matters that mothers and daughters-in-law get along. Their relationship affects other family members and affects family gatherings. I believe we need to have a clear understanding of what “getting along” means. It doesn’t have to be like close friends, but friendly, considerate, respectful, and loving. Boundaries are necessary in all relationships and appropriate expectations.

      I am a little confused about your statements regarding daughter in law being treated as an outsider, or feeling like an outsider and not part of the family. Do the research articles say anything about the new couple being their own “new family”? Really, the old family unit is gone. The daughter in law is part of her own new family with her husband. There are two family units. Yes, they are related, but both stand independently. One family does not need to blend in to the other. I get a feeling from your blog that the original family is still the major unit and I do not agree.

      RE: indirect communication. The son as mediator and choosing sides; that is an old cliché. No doubt he should be on the same side as his wife. He is not a mediator, but he is speaking up for his wife to his mother.

      Teresa—I have had a few serious problems with my mother in law over the past 20 years. She has overstepped her authority in our family. I continue to limit this by spending less time with her. We all live in Boise, but for us, two hours a week is maximum. I love her and I give her hugs, but we are adults and have our own family. What is your relationship like with your mother-in-law currently or in the past?

      Delete
    2. Nancy,
      You hit the nail squarely on the head with your question about the creation of a family unit. This is probably where most of the tension comes from. Yes, the couple is creating their own family, but our culture maintains those family connections. So, where are those boundaries? Who is in charge? In our culture the lines are blurred. Some cultures clearly designate the mother-in-law as the matriarch. The old family unit is never gone. We rely on them for emotional and financial support, especially early in our marriages. So, it is important for the "old family" to accept and consider the daughter-in-law as part of the family. She needs to feel comfortable and safe with these people. I have personally experienced this as my family tries to engage new family members. When we are successful, my son is happier and the entire family benefits from this new young woman as she adds depth and dimension to my family unit. I would disagree that they do not need to blend. I know that some families choose not to blend and for them that is comfortable, but for most family members, there is an intense need to be accepted and to belong.
      When you talk about the son sticking up for his wife, I agree he should. But what happens when or if she is wrong. I think she could also be unreasonable. I have trouble with it being a blanket statement. I would want my husband to tell me if I was wrong. If he allowed me to continue to be wrong there would not be an opportunity for me to grow and improve.
      Nancy, I am sorry that you have experienced problems with your mother-in-law. I know you are not alone. There are many women out there that share your experience. I am glad that you have managed to find balance in your relationship. You asked about my experiences. Well, I was lucky. My mother-in-law was wonderful. However, her other daughter-in-law thought she was awful. It really makes me think that perspective has a lot to do with how we analyze the relationship. I started this research because I wanted to develop positive relationships with my daughters-in-law. Currently I am one for one. But I continue to try.

      Delete
  5. Teresa, when I was reading your blog I couldn't help but think of Charlotte's blog and how creating shared meanings are paramount in creating a positive environment. When we can relate to people that usually leads to more positive experiences with that person later. Just thought I would add that. Don't feel that you have to respond. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The topic for this blog is one that many people can relate to. Now that we are at the end, I realize I don't know what your story is. Your perspective on the topic. How is your relationship with your daughter(s)-in-law? What about your own mother-in-law? Is there a way to weave your experience in here without getting too personal or making you uncomfortable. I think adding your own experiences to the mix would only strengthen the blog. Also, whenever someone says "has been identified" I always end up wondering by whom? Even in a blog, you should source a claim or clarify that it's opinion. Really interesting read!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christine,
    Thank you for your comments. I am very willing to share my story and did include some in my comments to Nancy. I wanted to do some weaving but ran our of space. Maybe next time. Thank you. I have really enjoyed getting to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Teresa,

    No need to respond. :) Your blog and overall topic have given me a different perspective of what marriage may bring. I never really thought all that much about in-law relationships until you talked about it in this class. You have given me much food for thought. Thanks! :) I hope you have a wonderful Holiday Break as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Teresa,

    Nice post. I really laughed hard at the cartoon of the guy on the island and the person in the boat! Very true isnt' it!

    I have seen over the years the deterioration of several mother daughter in law relationships more than I can say I have seen positive ones. However father in law relationships seem to be much more drama free. It would be interesting to see what the differences are that cause this disparity.

    Although, I have very limited knowledge about this topic you have been able to make it fairly easy to understand and interesting.

    Thank you for your work on this this semester! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete