Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Creating the Sense of Belonging With the In-law Family

How do new family members develop a family identity and acquire family membership?

Do you remember a time when you were in a new situation - one that pushed you out of your comfort zone?  You may have chosen this experience and quite possibly been very excited for the journey – BUT you were still uncomfortable.  I can think of many times in my life this has happened to me – most of them social situations. Like the new job, a move to a new city, and yes – a new marriage. I not only became a wife, but also a daughter-in-law and sister-in-law. I did not know exactly what those titles meant and what my role in the family was. Supposedly, I belonged to a new family, except they were not my family. In legal terms they were kin, but in my mind they were nice people that were related to my husband.

 Since my new husband whisked me off to a new city, many miles from our families, neither of us had to worry about interacting with them on a regular basis. But what of you women and men who live in the same town? How often do you want to be around these nice people? Studies have shown that 57% (Lopata) of us practice some type of avoidance when it comes to the mother-in-law. The only way I could avoid contact was not to answer the phone, which I did occasionally. Back to those of you who live closer to your in-laws.  C. M. Prentice discovered that a foundation for relationships is laid during the dating and courtship period that will affect the in-law relationship. By interacting during the dating process, individuals come to know and recognize the routines of the family.  They learn the way they communicate and what some of the family traditions and stories are.  This helps prepare us for the time when membership in the family becomes available. Although this is good for  relationship building, it is not always possible to interact before the marriage. For all of us, adjusting to a new family produces many direct and indirect ways for us to communicate. Everyone has the opportunity to share verbally and socially.  Did your spouse’s family explain the way they conducted their family life or did they just expect you to figure it out? According to C. M. Prentice most families expect you to figure it out and it is only verbalized when there is tension.

 
Tension is a normal part of family life and it can be addressed or swept under the rug. C. M. Prentice found that often the spouse/son or daughter is the mediator between their family and their spouse. This seems to help deal with the conflict and keeps it “cordial”, but it also creates a couple of problems. The mediator is now in the middle of the tension and therefore, there is no communication between the parents-in-law and child-in-law.  This diminishes the opportunity for direct conversation and interferes with relationship development for the pair. It also interferes with the new marriage as it often makes the spouse choose sides between their parents or their new partner.
There were other things involved with my integration into my husband’s family. There were expectations of what the relationship should be (for all of us) but there were no clear definitions of what my role was. I already had a mother and preferred to keep a close relationship with her and my mother-in-law seemed to understand that. I was lucky and realize that many of you have not experienced this understanding because multiple studies report that the mother-in-law is critical and intrusive. I did not have to worry about criticism from my mother-in-law.  However, it wasn’t just my mother-in-law that I had to interact with. There was an entire or group of people, all with their own routines, expectations of me, and day-to-day activities. 
I think of my first experience with my spouse’s entire family.  It was overwhelming, there were a lot of people and the conversations flowed freely. (I should say rampaged freely.) This was foreign to me because I came from a small family. They all talked at the same time.  They teased incessantly.  I did not know what to say or how to contribute.  So I didn’t.  Not an unusual feeling for a new family member. Research shows that the size of the family-of-origin will influence the way we converse.  Large families usually have many conversations going on at the same time. Those of us who are used to one conversation because our family was small, will either have to learn new techniques for conversing or seek out our own private two-party conversations. As for the teasing – well – I adjusted and learned to tease with the best of them. It is possible that the in-law family could be willing to make adjustments too, but most often the family communication style has been practiced for generations and it is difficult for a family to make the change.  Bottom line here is that the new member will usually have to make the adjustment as is supported by C. M, Prentice's study.
So when did I start feeling like I was part of the family? That is really hard to pinpoint, but it started small and simple.  His mother would call weekly for an update and many times it was me who spoke to her.  When children arrived it was me who told her the cute stories.  When my father-in-law was ill and needed care, it was me who took care of him. I was the one who remembered to send the birthday cards.  This is not unusual, as many women care for family members and relate family stories and activities. Communication scholars would say that I had adopted the role in the family as a kinkeeper and caregiver, through this process I began to self-identify with my husband’s family. C.  M. Prentice identified other roles that are assumed by new comers and they are: entertainers, kitchen helper, jokester, child entertainer, and many others. By adopting these roles, we begin to enter into the family.
According to Lopata, a sociologist, we gain our knowledge from everyday routines, from our ability to monitor our own behavior and explain it to others, and an understanding of what motivates our actions. Routines are then part of the foundation of our family interactions- some good, some bad- and are part of our family communication patterns. When a newcomer is introduced to the family those communication patterns are disrupted and therefore tension may be created.  This is normal. Those who are new should understand that gaining memberships is a process which most often happens through our communication activities and patterns. Family identity is created by the roles we assume in the family and continued social interaction. Through communication we begin to blend into a family.  We recognize our own behavior and have the ability to explain it to others.  We also have the ability to recognize why we act the way we do and why we say what we say. Through these processes their family can become our family and we are recognized as part of their family.
A final note.  The process for me did not happen in a blink. It took many years and of course, there were difficult times. My final thought is to remember that this is a process. While I was learning to blend into my husband's family I regularly pondered this – It took my mother and me many years to become close and create the relationship that we had. Therefore, it will take time for me to develop a close relationship with my husband’s family. I am no longer blessed to have either my mother or my mother-in-law in my life, but I can tell you that when they left this world – they were both my family.

References
Lopata, H. Z. (2012. In-laws and the concept of family. Marriage and Family Review, 28, 161-172.
Prentice, C. M. (2008). The assimilation of in-laws: The impact of newcomers on the communication routines of families. Journal of Applied Communication Research, 36, 74-97.

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Teresa,

    Your blog was very touchy. I loved it. You are probably one of the lucky ones to be blessed with such an experience. After 13 years of marriage, I'm still uncomfortable to go see my mother-in-law. It is a little different since she doesn't speak English and I don't speak her language, but I think even with that, my relationship with her could be better. And believe me, I've tried really hard.

    It seems to me that in the beginning, both sides are resistant to change and acceptance of the other. You're absolutely right that, as in any kind of relationship, it takes time to get to know the other person, build trust and eventually have and maintain a close relationship. This can only happen if there is trust.

    It was interesting to read that the foundation of the relationship happens during dating and courtship because many times it feels like there isn't much interaction during this time. I can see it happening when the families get together all the time. I didn't understand the connection between learning the familly traditions and "preparing us for the time when membership in the family becomes." I'm assuming you're referring to when the man and woman gets married?

    I can also relate to the comment that the husband acts as the mediator between the in-laws and the spouse. The role can be hard to handle and can actually destroy a marriage.

    What I loved the most about the blog is that although you don’t say it directly, it is clear that in your family, you and your mother-in-law were both willing to accept one another and respect the boundaries set within the relationship.

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa, your personal anecdotes made this post a pleasure to read. Very nicely done. While I have never been married, I can relate quite a bit to this post.

    I was in a relationship for 5 years. I can remember the first time I met my girlfriend's parents, which was very nerve-wracking for me (especially meeting her father). Honestly, we got along very well in that first meeting and most of the time after that.

    However, and this may be one of the reasons I didn't end up marrying her, I was never really all that fond of her family (I considered her my favorite, by far :)) The thing is, she didn't get along with them all that well either (even though they were a "close" Italian family that spent a lot of time together). In that case, I think it would have been more difficult for her to play the "mediator" role that you talked about. Did the literature say anything about how the relationship between the spouse and their parents can affect the mediation of in-law relationships?

    Also, I love my family dearly and at the same time I don't always relate to them perfectly either. Did the literature mention anything about how to mediate the relationship of your spouse with your own parents if your relationship with them (for me it's three parents) isn't ideal? This is a concern for me, and something I try to avoid for as long as possible, if I'm honest. It prevents me from introducing someone to my parents for quite a long time.

    Have you considered exploring the ideas of identification and disidentification in your line of research? I was at a thesis defense yesterday where these concepts were laid out and it seems to me like they are highly related to forming in-law relationships.

    I look forward to hearing more of what you find this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice tone, Teresa. And such a nice easy-to-read white background :). The Prentice article seemed very important. I'm not as clear on what Lopata found.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ramona,
    Thank you for your comments. I am lucky that I had a good relationship with my mother-in-law and in some ways that did not prepare me for a difficult relationship with my own daughter-in-law. Hence, the reason I am studying the relationship. Lopata discussed how culture plays a huge role in the relationships and this certainly applies to you. You not only are dealing with different cultures, but you are living in another separate culture. According to Lopata the culture we are living in the daughter-in-law is not expected to be subservient, which I think may explain some of the conflict you feel with your mother-in-law. Her expectations are different than yours. Here in America parents lose control over their children when they marry.
    You are absolutely right about trust being a big issue in a relationship and I hope to discuss that in a later blog. Do you think trust is different in the mother-in-law/daughter-in-law relationship than other interpersonal relationships? I think it is definitely important because of the depth of connectness they have.
    I feel for the spouse who has to moderate. They are put in the middle of an issue that they cannot solve. Moderating for two people that they love. I wondered as I read Prentice’s research what would happen if the spouse/child could act as a mediator instead of a moderator – kind of like conflict resolution. Of course, I see problems with that approach as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jim,
    Thank you for your comments. You ask some difficult questions and I will share with you what I know. When it comes to the role of mediator, Prentice found that some families preferred mediation, while others found it created detachment. When a child does not get along with their parents, they often take the side of the spouse and the child’s parents recognize the bias. Which means the mediation is not usually very effective. Both parents-in-law and children-in-law felt that mediation sent a distinct message that the other party did not wish to speak to them. This seems to hinder their ability to develop a relationship that is distinct from the relationship of the mediator.
    Another point with mediation is that the family expected their child to relay family expectations to their spouse. That only works if the child still has the same family expectations. It sounds to me like your girlfriend had changed her dialogue and definition of what family was. She does not agree with her family’s routines and behaviors.
    As I was reading Prentice’s paper, I thought that mediation offered a way to avoid conflict, but that it still left the conflict in the family. I felt like it would be better for the two parties to develop their own dialogue, albeit they may need help to get it started.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dr. Reeder,
    Lopata's article gave me a lot of background on family rituals and cultural beliefs. It talked about the role of the daughter-in-law in modern American society and how we adapt to these roles. The article referred to feelings and attitudes among in-laws - this is where I found the avoidance material. In the papers conclusion they spoke of the relationship as the process of self and other identification.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've read Lopata before (about women's roles balancing work and home) and she seems to give a lot of background and not as much data data. Good to have articles with some of each :)

      Delete
  9. You are finding a great balance between the academic and conversational tones. It is such an interesting focus for your research. I would think there is always some sort of tension when you are trying to adapt to a new family group. I get along well with my in-laws, but it still feels off at times. You are bringing up a lot of interesting questions! It am intrigued to see where you will go next!

    ReplyDelete